Monday, September 18, 2006

another sensitive topic

Ok so one of my teams that I coach seems to have a small preoccupation with Judaism (did I spell that right)...that sounded completely wrong. I'll try it again: several kids are Jewish and it takes priority over soccer practice, and rightly so. I'm not complaining about it, I suppose my complaint is that it annoys me that I don't know more about the religion and the culture in general since there is still somewhat the attitude of "THOSE Jews" and it's not the most common topic if you know what I mean. Just an opinion folks, just an opinion. I'm actually trying to figure this thing out:

It appears that I am having to rearrange my practices and/or cancel due to upcoming Jewish Observances. But what are they?? What do they mean?? I've only heard of a couple of them so today I went online to research. Now at least I have some inkling of the significance of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. I've posted about holidays before and how this would probably a public holiday in Trinidad. And again I have to say I do think that it gives an opportunity to get involved in knowing whats going on and finding out about other people's observances and what they mean, instead of each group doing their own thing.

So now my new "project" is to find out about Judaism, should be pretty easy...I have a bunch of 12-yr old girls who talk all the time that I can ask. I also just found out what Hebrew School is, maybe I'll ask the ones that go to that. Another thought: do they teach kids here about others' religious observances? Or is it some # amendment violation? :-/

7 comments:

lime said...

this time of year when rosh hashannah and yom kippur are celebrated are considered the 'high holy days.' that means they are the most important religious observances of the year and even the less observant jews who don't regularly attend attend services do mark and observe these days. they are the most important holidays in judaism.

in the US we do not have RI classes in the public schools the way Trinidad does. Some schools may have some explanation of different holidays to the kids (at my kids's school one of the parents came in for Hannukah and explained all the symbolism and practices and traditions), other school will prohibit any kind of religious expression though they are required to allow absence for religious holidays. it kind of depends on the local atmosphere as to how strictly or loosely certain 1st ammendment things are interpreted.

ttfootball said...

aaaaahhhhh....thanks Lime. I don't get why there isn't more of that (the explanation part). You Americans are so sensitive: everyone's for free expression but nobody wants anyone to say anything. :-/

Anonymous said...

You're right.. I think kids should learn about all religions, without forcing one into them. When I have kids, I'll let them choose whatever's better, instead of throwing them into a church.(No, Troy's not agreeing)

Coming from the biggest catholic country in the world, over there you either are catholic or you're an atheist. Honestly, I don't know many non-catholics in Brazil. So, religious class (if the school has it, which is not mandatory) is basically catholic.

I do envy, though, how many holidays jewish people have. Wish we had more... maybe i'll try to take carnival off - it's catholic after all :)

ttfootball said...

Costa come live in Trinidad, 6 "catholic" holidays: if u count Carnival monday and tuesday, 2, good friday, easter monday, corpus christi, and christmas, 6. We used to have another one called Whit Monday but Trinis have too many holidays they say, so it got cut out hehe

Anonymous said...

Well, we have those in Brazil - mon, tue, wed of carnival, good friday, corpus christi and christmas, but I'm saying we should have those in the US :)

lime said...

tt, very well said and i quite agree. somehow freedom of religion has come to mean freedom FROM religion. i quite prefer hwo it was handled in trinidad. no pressure just open discussion and acknowledgment that it is important in different ways to people.

Anonymous said...

hehe True about Trinidad and all thier holidays. THe US hardly have any so when some takes off for a High Holy Day like Rosh Hashanna (sp?) or even Good Friday it's a problem for some in Corporate America.

I also wish they have a class teaching children about different religions but that will unfortunately negate the whole "Separation of Church and State" thing. But I think it's important for parents to at least teach thier children about the other religions so they can get an understanding as to why people do the things they do.