Monday, February 22, 2010

Football, the Great Metaphor - part I

Football has put me in and gotten me through so many random, unexpected, expected, planned, unplanned, exhilarating, depressing, awkward...you name it, situations since i was a child learning the game, growing up playing on the field up the street with only boys. It has been the real constant in my life, has taught me much, took me to high achievements, and brought me to my closest friends, and is now forming the path i walk on. I have often used football as analogy for life in general and have yet to find a situation that couldn't in some way be related to a game. I choose to share some of my own game clips here. Make of them what you may; as with anything else, we form unique interpretations based on our own experiences.

I check in to the ball...the pass comes...its heavy...defender coming in on my back. I step over it and let it run, spinning off my man. As I turn to get sight of the ball again, there is a second defender approaching. Damn it was so heavy, its running away fast...can I get there before she does? Slight hesitation maybe only in my mind... because I'm going full out for it now...I know I have the speed. I get to it one step early..poke it to one side, run around the other side of her. Third defender right behind, no choice but to use the same move...just to try and get into some space...but now i'm getting pushed away from goal... Ok so look up finally and two more defenders in the box, one shaping to close me, the other trying to stay with my strike partner. I take a push to goal...angle is tight...the adrenalin really pumping now, we'r down 1-0... make a decision! Maybe it was a matter of confidence, maybe just my style... I'v never been much of a goalscorer ...to this day i always look to put in the service.... But here's my forward bearing down on the center of the goal, great finisher... so I slide it across the box...only to have her completely plowed over, cleared out, cleaned up, by the defender... no penalty...Only then was I aware of the silence as I was taking on defenders... and then there was nothing... nothing but disbelief ... dejection...my efforts had yielded nothing but injury to my teammate, my friend... and we were left there, she bent over in pain on the verge of tears and i trying to comfort her as the ball was cleared in the opposite direction...

No comments: