Thursday, February 15, 2007

Cold like a fridge...literally

It eh snow? It snowin'? It have any snow? That is all they ask when you call Trinidad. There is an eerie silence when I say well no, no snow but is -5*C, wind chill around -15, which is close to the same in the freezer compartment. As I write this, it is -16*C wind chill.

Well OK it finally snow a bit now, and sleet too (which actually starts off as snow but melts and freezes again by the time it lands, looks like fine sno-cone by then) Being close to the sea, we also managed some rain in between so now there's also ice.

But way before all that it was already quite cold for a sustained period, hence the name of this post. Trinis tend to have only the "christmas card" notion of snow, and really, how could they have a much different impression? I don't know if I had such preconceptions when I just got here; I think I cleared my mind especially as I started out in Vermont so snow was expected. The reality is that it looks nice when it's falling and a little while thereafter. But then it gets all slushy and brown because we don't live in a christmas card after all.

Nobody seems to think of the cold needed to facilitate and sustain snow when they are asking if there is any snow. Nor does it cross anybody's mind that snow is not the only thing that the sky produces. Or that there are other conditions that affect the "lovely snow" and the whole winter experience, including wind (important one) and sun, yes good old sunshine. I took this picture from my window showing the streetlamp (lamppost in Trini) reflecting off the ICE that formed on the grass during the day today. In spite of the temperature, the sunshine along with a constant wind created this smooth surface. One of the best things to experience in winter is the crisp sunshine that you often get after it has snowed. Everything is bright even with the slush and you don't feel quite so cold even though it is damn freezing. But don't you dare go out without your hat on, anyway your ears will soon remind you something is missing.

So for now it's easy keeping my lunch cool at the office, I just keep it by the window we leave ajar for fresh air. One day I even got ice forming in my water heheh I kid you not. It's like a giant walk-in freezer and we're insulating ourselves inside it instead of the other way round. Frankly I'm getting a bit tired of having to dress all the time for this. But like I said in my previous post, it was a waste being so cold without some snow, so now i'm a placated for the while, moreso since the University had a snow day ;-)

Here's a thought: one of my Swedish friends thought a "heat day" might make more sense than a "snow day". Better not let too many Trinis hear that suggestion honey

till nex time...

2 comments:

lime said...

LOL, in truth! dying at the thought of a trini heat day...i mean already 'rain is fallin' is an acceptib;e excuse.....now heat too? lmao!

RennyBA said...

Thanks how we keep our lunch cool at the office in Norway too and eat it when we have time or if not go out and make snow angles in the snow:-)