Tuesday, February 13, 2007

don't let globalism fool you...

... I STILL get homesick!

here I am, just out of my International Issues class, thinking in exactly one week it will be Carnival Tuesday las lap in Trinidad, and I will be here, in the cold, in class...

Globalism. Part of 'globalisation'. The increase in exchange and availability of cultural ideas and experiences. Should we say connection between cultures? I think I would like to focus on availability and access part. The proliferation of different types of entertainment media, communications and of course trade has brought about an international trend of culture swapping umm sharing that has in turn made it much easier for those of us "away from home" to get by through having acces to various items: food, music, even communities (e.g. blogs)

One can go to the supermarket and look for the now ever-present "international aisle" for foods from other countries. Personal example: Crix (yes crix) and Matouks Mauby. Also there are many specialty shops popping up all over, be they Mexican, Indian, Caribbean etc where you can get other food items. One can also easily get their favourite radio stations streaming live via the internet, or the daily newspaper, even TV. Ah yes that wonderful thing the internet...ANYthing you want, its on there, I haven't found it yet but soon you may be able to order a chicken roti on the net. In the meantime, there's caribuy, trinifoods, and others, and a ton of places to buy music and other souvenirs like the 3'x5' flag on my wall. And well doh talk about instant messaging and VoIP programs, where would we be without them?!

Still these things provide only a respite. It is only a brief solution to the need for the real thing. Visiting Trinidad Carnival Diary most every day is a constant source of amusement not only because of the sheer numbers of visitors there and their comments written so sweetly in my own tongue, but the sheer excitement they express about their carnival experience and their love for home. Such anticipation and exhilaration at the thought about making the pilgrimage to Trinidad for Carnival, one of the pillars of our culture. I must add that I am quite amused at myself as well for going there i.e. to that blog, just to know whats going on even though I am NOT going home for Carnival. All part of the community thing I mentioned before I suppose.

It's always a search for some kind of connection, something tangible, especially when you know you're in it for the long haul. Its supposed to be snowing tonight but it looks like the weatherman lied to us, I would actually like if it snowed, waste of time being so cold without the white stuff. Think I'll go have some sorrell, can you believe I still have some? Talk about homesick...

Till nex time...

4 comments:

lime said...

gyul, yuh like a real northerner now......no sense bein cold without the white stuff. i'm proud of ya.

i missin all the madness of carnival myself.

i am glad to have a trini foods store in the next town over. only thing i can't get is the richmond valley cocoa i liek so much, which yeah i know is jamaican, but you know...

and sorrel, gyul, how yuh still have sorrel???

RennyBA said...

I've also heard from Lime about this carnival and now you make me want to exchange the Norwegian winter for your celebration. Glad you like to see some Norwegian winter too though:-)

ttfootball said...

Yeah Lime ah real stretchin it out lol

Renny its the experience of a lifetime! As was my visit to Norway :)

Oswyn said...

ttfootball, we still have sorrell too...we even have some frozen florets too. :)