Thursday, March 29, 2007

Sun Tan and Cold Water

Post title provided by my other half ;-) Some observations from spring break in Tampa FL

What a lovely day that was during Spring Break. Indian Rocks Beach. There we were on the Gulf Coast of Florida, sun beating down, on a more quiet strip of beach so not at all crowded, perfect! eh heh?!? Ever swim in a river/stream when it rain the night before? Sea water in a temperate country, now I know. It was one of those where you had to make up your mind and just run straight in otherwise no way you going in that cold water. It turn out to be refreshing after you got into it but not to stay too long, thank god it stayed sunny. I feel like a alligator coming out to heat up in the sun just to go back in the water.

There is a Beach Trolley that goes constantly up and down the length of the coast from St Petersburg to Clearwater so we managed to see a few beaches. The second was Clearwater. If the person naming Clearwater was naming it after the sea, they were sorely misguided, poor thing. While the water was nice it certainly wasnt clear, it was like Trinidad water with the sort of greenish cloudiness than like Tobago where you can keep walking out and still see your feet. Anyways, I have NEVER seen that many people on a beach in my life. I have also never been to Maracas Bay on Ash Wednesday but still, I can't imagine Trinis lying on their towels one step away from the water's edge. That was people! We didnt even think about bathing with that crowd though the sun kept beating down and the tanning continued as well as the accusations of now being a "white girl" because I have gotten into the habit of wearing sunscreen hahaha.

Clearwater Beach

Another day at the beach wasnt so great, it was NOT sunny, fairly windy, and yuh gyul was COLD. No chance of even trying that water without the reheating properties of the sun. But you know how this deceptive tanning still happens right? So I lay there and napped - minus my sunglasses lest I develop a "tourist tan" - while my boyfriend walked a couple miles, I would think, to some jetty thing at the far end of the beach. It had to be far cuz I had a good sleep. Eventually we picked up and went to another beach on the trolley. The sun had started peeping through and I thought ok this is my last hurrah before heading back up north so Jump In The Water!!! (location of pic in my previous post) It turned out really nice and I was sorry we had to leave so early to catch the bus back. (buses will be the topic of my next post)

Now that I think about it, this was the first time I had swam in U.S. water hehe. I can only imagine how perfect it must be in summer down there when the water really warms up. The beach itself was decent and there were facilities and an array of rental things. Maybe in future I can do another post called Sun Tan and Warm Water? That would be fine!

Till nex time...

3 comments:

lime said...

lol, it feelin cold because yuh from trinidad. but to those of us from the north, it feelin warm!

glad you had a nice time!

yuh want cold gyul...try the great lakes in may....brrrrrrrr

RennyBA said...

Funny you've had your summer experience already while we've just started the golf season in Scandinavia. It's spring and we are enjoying the lovely weather too - the Viking ways LoL

Icahwait* said...

I have never and prob would never swim in waters abroad. If sometimes it hard enough to step into Trini waters, I not going there. so good for you.
After living away for sometime now, your skin would need the assistance of sunscream. I have learnt this the hard way more than once because I harden.