Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My non-trini habits

Of course in the last 5+ years, I have inevitably picked up some things that the average Trini would find decidely "weird" or "crazy" or "like white people" hahaha. For example, I know no Trini would find eating pizza straight out of the fridge 'normal', or how about apples and peanut butter? Sweet relish on a hot dog? Or putting chips INSIDE of your burger. The frequency with which people eat pasta is kinda unusual. Otherwise known as macaroni, I have never actually seen "macaroni" at the supermarket like there is at home, there's 20 different shapes and sizes of pasta but no macaroni.

My family finds it funny the way putting on my seatbelt has become second nature (like if accidents don't happen in trinidad). I know how to pump my own gas now! People don't believe I didn't know how to do that all along: "you didn't know how to pump gas?" nope sorry, they do it for you in Trinidad.

If I was home, think I would be listening to Joss Stone, Pink, or (dare I say it) PussyCatDolls?? Hell No! PINK?!?! White people music! So you have to expand your horizons, appreciate other things. I certainly would not have discovered one of the BEST albums i have ever listened to: Timeless, produced by Sergio Mendes (discovery courtesy Costa) So yep I go home and I'm listening to the most unlikely music, people looking at me funny but who cares. On the flipside, I have SUCH an appreciation for calypso now, I'm looking for and downloading stuff (don't tell anyone). Also chutney, I just got some Adesh Samaroo, and I have plans for a chutney/chutney-soca CD hehe.

I couldn't end this post without talking about my damn vocabulary. It's becoming so limited! 'sup, reply: 'sup. Thank god I have family here I can talk to, and finding trini websites and blogs :) I can go to so as not to lose my trini tongue. THAT would be a tragedy!

Till nex time...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. There are things I do now that I would never do at home (before, because now I'll do it and let people look at me weirdly), such as eating pizza with my hands (Brazilians are educated, we use knife and fork, hehehe). I still don't know how to pump my gas (New Jerseyans do it for you too). And now I do the worse thing, the thing I've always complained my "whole" life in the US: the "how're you" and keep walking. Grrrr, I hate that - but I do it now.
By the way, I didn't know you liked "Timeless" so much. That's great, I'm glad you enjoy it. Although I don't like B.E.P., I really like the new arrangements of old brazilian classics.

ttfootball said...

OMG that cd has barely left my car stereo

lime said...

LOL, good one! i tellin yuh, i cyar believe how trinis put hot sauce on pizza! so i proud yuh could eat it from de fridge. hehehe.

Icahwait* said...

pumping your own gas was a shock for me, but its kinda fun.

I don't like packing my own grocery bags though

and you know you cant make macaroni pie without trini macaroni its just not the same.

Oswyn said...

My favourite discovery from living with other Intertational Students was Gipsyland. I also now listen to country music....yup. I have even bought country CDs. It's strange I tell you.

Atasha said...

Hope you don't mind me dropping in.

I actually found a store over here in CA where I can get macaroni like back home.

Eek..eating Pizza straight out the frige? My husband does it but that is something I will not do. Isn't the crust a little stiff and hard to chew when you do that?