Saturday, October 28, 2006

Cricket Lovely Cricket

The ICC Champions Trophy is currently being played in India and I have found a LIVE STREAM online through which I can watch our beloved West Indies team play in the tournament. Yes I repeat: LIVE STREAM.
So far, I have been able to watch 2 games, one being the nailbiting victory over India, where in classic 1-day international style we were counting balls vs runs at the end. But as was well as Samuels slapped Agarkar for a boundary to produce the winning runs. Not so today as West Indies batted first, posting a solid total of 272 which they were unable to defend. Yes this is what they are good at: inconsistency. Oh well....

As I was watching I was wondering how many Indians on this campus were watching as well (they also I have heard have a gift for finding streaming sports). They have formed a cricket club and had an intramural tournament, which I was never able to attend, but really wanted to!Don't get me wrong! I think it was a good move considering the number of international students here. Through that venture I also found out that Canada is sending a team to the Cricket World Cup, which will be held in the Caribbean next year. Yes Canada has a team.

So in spite of inconsistency, the West Indies has managed to make it into the Semi-Final round of the Champions Trophy. As defending champions one would hope they advanced to a respectable stage. But to win it all again would be legend. Not that they were in any sort of consistent form when they won 2004. So who knows...I somehow don't think the punters will be too aggressive this time around.

I could just imagine all the talk back home: "well dey get thru to de nex rounds" "yuh eh see how Lara throw way he wicket?!" "how dem fellas could loss to England?" "doh study dat, dem fellas lookin good" ... I miss that...

What a boost it would be for West Indies to win this thing going into the World Cup next year, especially since we are hosting it. But I think having gotten to the semifinals, we would, maybe I should change that to "I" would, settle for a respectable showing going forward from here: if we lose please don't get disgraced, at least make it a close one. Good luck fellas!!

till nex time...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who the hell watches Cricket????????????????????

:)

Go watch some soccer and re-convert yourself, miss!

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

lime said...

and don't forget the bleary eyed ones after a match played in australia, because yuh know yuh mus watch it live!

ttfootball said...

Costa there is no converting to be done, West Indians find themselves awake at weird hours to watch cricket the same way we do with football.
And please try to write football instead of the s word in future ;)

Anonymous said...

If I have to write the "f" word, then let me do it the right way - "futebol" ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am from India and am currently doing my masters in Dartmouth College NH. I am a big cricket fan and not watching cricket is driving me crazy and the paid sites are too costly. Could you give me some link on which i can watch live cricket matches? I like watching matches of all countries.

Sorry to disturb you, but I am that desperate. My mail ID is GOVIND.VK@GMAIL.COM

thanks and regards,
Govind

ttfootball said...

Anonymous I would be happy to email to your college email account, otherwise you can find info at freefootball.org