Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Class etiquette... and other things

I will never forget how teachers in high school in Trinidad would make sure everyone greeted one another at the start of the class. And you better had say "good morning" or "good afternoon" if you walked in late or everything would stop till you did loud and clear. So engrained was it that I used to do it when I just got here 6 years ago until I realised there was a reply only 10% of the time. Also, people come in and have small picnics in class. I can understand having a coffee or a soda etc. but salads and Subway? the class smelling like a food court? I mean jeez.... or how about the continuous chatter when the professor has arrived and is trying to start the class? or worse: the little conversations that pop up DURING the class?! I wouldn't even say these are "pet peeves" in my mind they are simply a matter of respect. I've posted before about a professor who was doing his small bit to improve discipline among students. He greets people if they happen to come in late, and pull up people who start talking during the class. Good for him. At least there are still a few who care.

Which brings me to the "other things": plagiarism. I read somewhere, and can attest to the fact, that graduates plagiarise more than undergrads. Isn't that funny? According to Plagiarism.org:

A national survey published in Education Week found that 54% of students
admitted to plagiarizing from the internet; 74% of students admitted that at
least once during the past school year they had engaged in "serious" cheating;
and 47% of students believe their teachers sometimes choose to ignore students
who are cheating.
The site further states that clearly instructors know what is going on but aren't about to do anything about it. "55% of faculty 'would not be willing to devote any real effort to documenting suspected incidents of student cheating'". So many professors just let things slide. I would love to see comparable statistics for Trinidad. To be honest I think at least people's conscience would kick in, I'm not saying it would stop them but I think Trinis would at least feel bad. On the whole I think the international students really try, but then we get sucked into the culture :-/
You know what? at this point I am just counting down the days, the final I cheated on is in the past. I can proudly say though that I have never done the "cut and paste" bit, that is just plain laziness. I was supposed to have a presentation this evening but my group couldn't get it together in time, I know there's going to be some cutting and pasting for the paper itself which pisses me off but hey, the professor likes me. Just picked up my graduation packet, I was invited based on GPA to join an international Business Society, so now I'm just waiting to see if I graduate with honors.
2 down... till tomorrow!

2 comments:

lime said...

wow, things have clearly changed since i was in college. there were nto picnics and conversations going on all the time. though i have to say, trini students are defnitely more respectful than american ones.

which secondary scjhool did you go to if i may ask?

ttfootball said...

St George's College, barataria. 1st co-ed 5-yr secondary school