Thursday, April 05, 2007

Pet Food

Sorry to all those people affected by the "national pet food recall" but I couldnt help being a bit surprised by how far-reaching it has become despite knowing how some americans love their pets more than people, having the dog in they bed and kissing them and all that. I see big people come on CNN and bawling down de place cuz they dog or cat dead. I understand it sad and unexpected and is a shitty way to go but oh gosh!

It never crossed my mind how huge the pet food industry must be over here. Now when I tell my friend dogs in trinidad eat rice, she in shock: "it doesnt do anything to their stomachs!?" Well clearly not. And by the way, I see some rice in the supermarket here that eh look too far from trinidad pet rice, probably only one grade better. I swear there are people that would eat what my dog eats, at least it smells REALLY good while being cooked. Usually it's just the rice cooked up with entrails etc from preparing our own meals, but we season it and everything as if the dog cares HAHA. At one point when I was at home, I used to buy packages of chicken liver to cook for the dog (it was dirt cheap). Another time I bought some dry dog food to mix in with the cooked food to make it last longer. Guess what? the dog ate around the pellets! LOL Now bear in mind this is equivalent to eating only the peas out of the peas and carrots. That was hilarious, we were in shock but almost died laughing. I must point out that this is the same dog that would "eat" mangoes (don't ask how he got them) and bananas (again dont ask) Crix is always a hit, and how about some scrambled eggs?

All kicks aside, I wonder how many trinidadians buy the so-called "cuts and gravy" style pet food? It only occupies a small space on the shelves, the dry food seems to be much more popular, and pet rice is always available. One of my cousins used to buy it(dry food), but again, she would mix it with rice. Those Trinis that do buy the "gravy" stuff probably still happy happy buying it cuz who bothering to check labels and dates and all that? If the dog dead it dead.

One more question: what do cats in trinidad eat??

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL.. my dog used tt do the same thing.. eat around the dog food and only at the cooked food. tres hilarious...

the funniest though was the time the dog drink a Carib from the bottle.. yuh don't want to know nah...

lime said...

lol, gyul i thinkin the same thing. is dog rice and chicken bones left from when yuh have stewed chicken . right? and every amrican dog owner would die to think of feedin ghteor dog that. but you know, i'm back in the states 13 years and i still feel i should be givin the bones to a god rather than puttig them in the trash. and at least if i had a dog it wouldn't be dead from the tainted pet food.

ttfootball said...

Carib Dre?! LOL! well that one i never hear before!

Lime my dog does get chicken skin etc. from when we clean the meat, cook up with the rice, and my father does put browning like if the dog care. A lil bit again he eating pelau!

RennyBA said...

I just think the world have gone crazy and I'm sorry to say that this phenomena has accelerated to far!

The cats? well in Norway I think at least some of them still eat mouse:-)

Maria Eduarda said...

Well, my dogs eat chocolate, corn on the cob, ice cream, and whatever they want..all they have to do is cry and look at us with those puppy faces...I know it's wrong, but if they die because of that, at least they will die happy. :) We put dog food with some meat for them, but just like yours, they pick the meat out and leave the dog food in.

Meghan said...

Funny you talk about this... I remember the nightly dog feeding ritual in Trini. Basically the scraps of the day mixed in with rice. Definitely a good way of getting rid of the leftovers.

BTW, my mom's cat got very sick from the bad pet food. Now she's trying to get the vet bill reimbursed but the store's not making it easy!

My poor kitties are in quarantine in Australia as I write. Actually, I think they're liking it and I'm not sure they'll want to leave. You would surely think I was crazy if you knew what I went through to get them there! ;)

Unknown said...

I'm wondering what cats in TT eat myself. hmmmm. LOL

well, my cat eats the non-gourmet stuff so she's safe. And to think my vet scolded me for feeding her the cheap Purina brands, but that's the only brand my cat eats. Well, those cheap foods saved her life.

Icahwait* said...

Good question on the cat food, no idea. Actually there is a cat hanging out by my mom's house that eats some of the left over dog food...
which is usually chicken scraps,& rice or if she feeling lazy chow. She ALWAYS ALWAYS saves scraps for the dog. When we used to have 4 dogs is proper big pot cooking food for them. My dog I shared everything humanly possible with her, even ice cream& Shandy sorrel

ttfootball said...

boy like my dog missin out on de drinks....??

Oswyn said...

ttfootball, my dog used to eat around the pellets too till he got used to it. And yeah my dogs love Crix and mangoes also. One house we used to live at had a large back yard and an enormous mango tree. We also had two German Shepherds and the funniest thing was when a ripe mango fell off the tree. Talk about a race for that mango between them? We'd get up on mornings and have to clean up about 15-20 mango seeds from around the house, but as the mango season went on gradually they'd get tired of eating them. But by far the food that is the biggest hit with them is paw paw skin (that's papaya skin to you non-Trinis). They'll go crazy for it each time.

Apparently my dogs missing out on drinks too, just now somebody will say they dog used to drink Bailey's.