Friday, June 29, 2007

Vermont

What does Trinidad and Tobago and the state of Vermont have in common? The outsider's perception that everybody is smoking weed all the time. Isn't that great? Thanks alot Bob Marley. Other than that, I cant think of much more there is... it woodsy? Well its not quite the same look, plus that would be vermont in general, and only a few parts in Trinidad, maybe tobago would be a better comparison.

On the other hand there are MANY things which are immensely different:

1. FRESH air!! In case you didn't know, Ver-mont comes from french for green-mountain. When you go up there and everything is open and green, you KNOW and FEEL the air is fresh and clean. And not just away from the towns that its cleanER, but that its clean throughout. Meanwhile, as I said here, Trinidad is right up there with countries producing the most carbon emmissions. Lovely!!

2. Big dogs and Pick-ups. Everyone in VT has a big dog and a pick-up truck haha, no kidding. BUT these people actually need these things whereas trinidadians just playin de ass. Huge vehicles to show off, and big dogs? also to show off. steupssss....

3. Huge properties and wildlife. Who thought I would ever say that sighting deer would be an almost mundane occurence LOL Well!! The fox I saw bounding across my friends property with a crow cawing in the background, was quite exciting! All I needed to top off my visit up there was for the elusive moose to come meandering out of the woods, as I was told they do ever so often. You have to be real living in the bush to spot any such wildlife in trinidad (manicou etc don't count, lest I get into all the racoons and skunks I see right outside my building).

4. Surely I must mention driving at the speed limit. Of all the states I have been to, I don't think anyone sticks as close to the speed limit as they do in VT (highways not included) Kudos to them :-) In the meantime people exceed the speed limit just in getting out of the driveway in Trinidad, so stupid it makes you laugh.

5. The "hippie" culture. Self-proclaimed hippies. It's a different sort of laid back than in the Caribbean. Must be the weather. Difficult to describe... like wearing nice "home clothes" to go out...or sitting wherever on the street/in a park as long as it looks dry and it's sunny out. LOL I guess you have to know a Vermonter to know.

All in all it was a great few days I spent up there, DEFINITELY one of my favourite places to visit. I need to track which seasons/months I haven't been yet and plan a trip then.

Till nex time....

4 comments:

lime said...

gyul, go up toco if yuh feelin fuh clean air on the island. ;)

thanks for the field trip report. vermont sounds very lovely. :)

Anonymous said...

I think Vermont was more of a foreign experience than anywhere else I could have gone in the US. It is extremely different than NJ, and I won't even mention from Brazil. :)
It's a totally different country than the US, I think, as that "friends" joke goes. :)

Anonymous said...

I spent a summer in Vermont many years ago. It was gorgeous, but strangely deserted without the winter visitors. And first place I'd ever visited where you could (back then) spot a brown person from miles away. If there was one. But people were indeed friendly. And the mountains were green. And I also saw deer in a friend's backyard.

The Sweet 7 said...

Well, I am a St.Lucian who currently lives in Vermont. It is like none other but hey I love Vermont!

Nyree
http://dulce7.blogspot.com